Sunday, March 21, 2010

Following the dissapearing hill

My yearning to see a hill, took me to Tumkur, around 2 hours journey from Bangalore.

Got down at the bus station and walked eastwards (as I remember seeing on google maps).
The hills around this region are rather small. So, as I picked out one and walked towards it's direction, it would suddenly disappear behind some structure or tree. I panicked first and then smiled to myself at the thought that I'm following a disappearing hill.

It took me a good 45 mins to 1 hour of walking to reach the base of the hill. The hills of this region are particularly enchanting as they tend to be strewn with boulders, quite different from those found around the Pune region.

This particular formation of boulders is a result of erosion, by wind, water and vegetation. Some very interesting formations can be witnessed. I named quite a few as 'Noah's ark', Heaven's gate, the twin towers, the sphinx, etc.

sphinx




No comments: